Dr. Sheffield is President of International ATMO in San Antonio, Texas. He started his career in hyperbaric medicine in 1965. He is a Certified Hyperbaric Technologist (CHT) and Certified Aerospace Physiologist (CAsP).
He is a retired Colonel from the United States Air Force. He is Past-President of the Undersea and Hyperbaric Medical Society (UHMS); and is Past-President of the Aerospace Physiology Society. He served on the following committees:
- UHMS Education Committee (Chair 1996-2014).
- UHMS Hyperbaric Oxygen Safety Committee
- NFPA Technical Committee on Hyperbaric and Hypobaric Facilities
- ASME Committee on Pressure Vessels for Human Occupancy
He is the primary editor of the Wound Care Practice textbook. He has authored numerous textbook chapters and articles on tissue oxygen monitoring, hyperbaric medicine, and hyperbaric safety. He is the namesake of the Paul J. Sheffield Education Award from the UHMS Gulf Coast Chapter.
Dr. Sheffield has received numerous awards, including:
- Fellow in Undersea & Hyperbaric Medicine (UHMS)
- Special Service Award (UHMS)
- Jefferson C. Davis Memorial Award (UHMS Gulf Coast Chapter)
- Charles W. Shilling Award (UHMS)
- Honorary Kentucky Colonel (Governor of Kentucky)
- Wiley Post Award (Aerospace Physiology Society)
- Fred A. Hitchcock Award (Aerospace Physiology Society)
- Paul Bert Award for Physiological Research (Aerospace Physiology Society)